In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- Orthopedic Foundation for Animals The initial mission of this organization was to screen animals for canine hip dysplasia. Over the years, it has evolved to include screenings and certifications for many other inherited, genetic diseases. To minimize the spread of serious genetic diseases, breed specific OFA screenings and certifications are recommended for all breeding animals. If you are considering breeding or adopting a new puppy, this site will also let you know what screening tests are recommended for each breed.
- American Kennel Club: This site provides much useful information about buying and selecting the breed of dog that is right for you as well as tips for responsible pet ownership.
- The Indoot Pet Initiative The Indoor Pet Initiative is a site maintained by The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. It contains a wealth of information to help improve the quality of life of our indoor pets. Many behavioral and nutrition topics are covered.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Disease, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Food Animal Residue Avoidance & Depletion: To help keep our food supply safe, this website offers information regaring the proper milk and meat withhold times for various medications.
- Penn State Extension: This site is full of information on a wide variety of farm animal and equine topics.
Veterinary Information, Organizations & Careers
- VIN News Service This website contains news stories about veterinary medicine and animal care. It also contains a link to their Drug and Food Recall Center which has updated information regarding food, medication and other recalls that impact animal health.
- VetzInsight VetzInsight is a light-hearted blog written by veterinarians and staff of the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) to help animal owners understand and better communicate with their veterinarian.
- 4-H Groups: 4-H is an excellent organization for kids to learn about agriculture and animal care. A wide variety of interests can be discovered through participation in 4-H. Membership is available for kids ages 5-19. To find a group close to you:
- The OSU Extension: Your local extension office provides a wealth of information regarding local agriculture, 4-H, and natural resources.
- Columbiana County Fair: We are proud to be the official veterinarians for the Columbiana County Fair.
- Canfield Fair: We are proud to be the official veterinarians for the Canfield Fair.
- Farm and Dairy: The Farm and Dairy is a nice local newspaper that focuses on issues important to rural farming communities.
- Ohio Farm Bureau: The Ohio Farm Bureau is an advocate for Ohio Farms. In addition to other benefits, members receive both the Buckeye Farm News and Our Ohio magazine.
- Dog Licenses: An annual license is required for all dogs over 3 months of age. This can help to identify and reunite you with your lost pet. To find a licensing agency near you, click your county below.